Oregon Litigation Counsel
The Freedom Foundation has one Litigation Counsel position for an attorney with 1 to 3 years' litigation experience to work in its Olympia, Washington office.
Organizational & Job Details
Freedom Foundation is an aggressive and effective conservative/libertarian organization devoted to public-sector labor reform. Specifically, we work to defeat forced unionism and diminish the undue political influence wielded by Big Labor. We do this by informing workers of their rights and protecting and enhancing those rights in the courts. Success in this fight is a fundamental prerequisite to expanding freedom and prosperity not only in the West, but across the country.
Freedom Foundation operates in Washington state, Oregon, and California. We currently have six full-time in-house attorneys. Our new attorney will focus on matters in Oregon. He or she will be in our Olympia, Washington office but travel on occasion to our Salem, Oregon office.
Litigation Counsel will join an experienced, committed, and hard-working litigation team under the direction of the Foundation's Managing Attorney. The litigation subject matter includes First Amendment, open government, administrative, religious liberty, and other civil rights cases. Because of the Foundation's overwhelming success in the labor reform field, unions and other entities regularly seek to force the Foundation into defensive litigation. Therefore, the litigation team also provides defense-side litigation support for the Foundation. Though we work collaboratively, the Litigation Counsel must be a self-starter and capable of managing his or her own caseload.
Litigation Counsel's job duties will include:
- Creating, filing, and/or managing legal actions against governments, labor unions (primarily public-sector), and their allies who violate workers' rights;
- Writing legal opinions, briefs, articles, memos, blog posts, and analysis; communicating about the Foundation's legal activities to trustees, members, donors, the media, and to the general public;
- Propounding and responding to discovery requests; and
- Advising Foundation staff as they advance other facets of the Foundation's mission
- Excellent legal research and writing skills;
- Excellent academic credentials, a strong work ethic, and the ability to persevere under adversity such as legal attacks by unions;
- Licensed to practice law in Oregon, or able to attain an Oregon license within one year of employment;
- 1-3 years' of litigation experience highly preferred; recent law graduates will be considered;
- Believe, share, and be able to express the Foundation's mission and values; and
- Enjoy taking on new challenges and working in a team environment.
Freedom Foundation offers a salary and benefits package, including health benefits and a retirement program, commensurate with applicants' experience and consistent with the nonprofit sector.
Qualified candidates should submit the following in one PDF file with your name in the file:
- Cover letter detailing your specific interest in this role and salary requirements
- List of three professional references
Please include "Litigation Counsel – Your Name" in the subject line of your email.
Materials should be emailed in one PDF document to Greg Overstreet, Managing Attorney, at firstname.lastname@example.org
While we thank all applicants in advance for their interest in this position, we are only able to contact those to whom we can offer an interview. No phone calls, please.
The Freedom Foundation is an equal opportunity employer. The Freedom Foundation was established in 1991 as an independent, non-partisan research and educational organization dedicated to the study of public policy. Through its research and litigation the Freedom Foundation promotes public policy founded upon the principles of limited government, economic freedom, and individual liberty.