The Freedom Foundation seeks a Litigation Counsel who is licensed in California.
Organizational & Job Details
Freedom Foundation is an aggressive and effective conservative/libertarian organization devoted to public-sector labor reform. With offices in Washington, Oregon, and California, we work to defeat forced unionism and diminish the undue political influence wielded by Big Labor. We do this by informing workers of their rights and protecting and enhancing those rights in the courts. Success in this fight is a fundamental prerequisite to expanding freedom and prosperity not only in the West, but across the country.
The Litigation Counsel will join an experienced, committed, and hard-working litigation team under the direction of the Foundation’s Chief Litigation Counsel. The subject matter includes First Amendment, open government, administrative, civil rights, and other cases. Because of the Foundation’s overwhelming success in the labor reform field, unions and other entities regularly seek to force the Foundation into defensive litigation. Therefore, the litigation team also provides defense-side litigation support for the Foundation. Though we work collaboratively, the Litigation Counsel must be a self-starter and capable of managing his or her own caseload.
The Litigation Counsel’s job duties will include:
- Creating, filing, and/or managing legal actions in federal and state courts and administrative agencies against governments, labor unions (primarily public-sector), and their allies who violate workers’ rights;
- Writing legal opinions, briefs, articles, memos, blog posts, and analysis; driving and managing discovery processes; communicating about the Foundation’s legal activities to trustees, members, donors, the media, and to the general public;
- Advising Foundation staff as they advance other facets of the Foundation’s mission;
- Possess excellent legal research and writing skills;
- Possess excellent academic credentials, a strong and entrepreneurial work ethic and the ability to persevere under adversity;
- Be licensed to practice law in California;
- Applicants with 1-4 years of intensive litigation or related experience are preferred, all applicants with some litigation experience will be considered;
- Believe, share and be able to express the Foundation’s mission and values;
- Enjoy taking on new challenges and working in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment;
Freedom Foundation offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including health benefits and a retirement program, commensurate with applicants’ experience.
Materials and Contact
Email your resume, two references, a brief writing sample (10 or fewer pages), and a cover letter introducing yourself and explaining how you can benefit the Foundation’s mission and team to Brian Minnich, Executive Vice President, firstname.lastname@example.org.