Chief Litigation Counsel
The Freedom Foundation seeks a Chief Litigation Counsel to work in its Olympia, Washington office.
Organizational & Job Details
Freedom Foundation is an aggressive and effective conservative/libertarian organization devoted to public-sector labor reform. With offices in Washington, Oregon, and California, we work to defeat forced unionism and diminish the undue political influence wielded by Big Labor. We do this by informing workers of their rights and protecting and enhancing those rights in the courts. Success in this fight is a fundamental prerequisite to expanding freedom and prosperity not only in the West, but across the country.
The Chief Litigation Counsel will join and lead an experienced, committed, and hard-working litigation team under the organizational direction of the Foundation’s CEO and Executive Vice-President. The subject matter spans First Amendment, labor, open government, administrative, civil rights, and other areas of law. Because of the Foundation’s overwhelming success in the labor reform field, unions and other entities regularly seek to force the Foundation into defensive litigation. Therefore, the litigation team also provides defense-side litigation support for the Foundation. The Chief Litigation Counsel must be entrepreneurial and foster a collaborative but self-starting team of excellent litigators.
The Chief Litigation Counsel’s job duties will include:
- Creating, filing, and/or managing legal actions in federal and state courts and administrative agencies against governments, labor unions (primarily public-sector), and their allies who violate workers’ rights;
- Writing legal opinions, briefs, articles, memos, blog posts, and analysis; driving and managing discovery processes; communicating about the Foundation’s legal activities to trustees, members, donors, the media, and to the general public;
- Advising Foundation staff as they advance other facets of the Foundation’s mission;
- Managing the Foundation’s litigation team and directing overall legal strategy;
- Advancing the Foundation’s mission through strategic litigation, media participation, positioning, and coordination, support of Foundation’s development (fundraising) initiatives, and other public-facing activities;
- Possess excellent legal research and writing skills, academic credentials, a strong and entrepreneurial work ethic, and the ability to persevere and lift up others under adversity;
- Be licensed to practice law in Washington or able to attain a Washington license within one year of employment;
- At least 3 years of litigation or related experience; 5+ years preferred;
- Experience in managing litigation from start to finish;
- Some management experience (even if non-legal);
- Possess highly-developed interpersonal and communication skills that are translatable to internal (Foundation) and external audiences;
- Believe, share, and exhibit ability to articulately, compellingly express the Foundation’s mission and values;
- Enjoy confronting new challenges and working in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment;
Freedom Foundation offers a very competitive salary and benefits package, including health benefits, a matching retirement program, and generous PTO. Salary will be negotiated consistent with the nonprofit legal industry and the applicant’s experience.
Materials and Contact
Email your resume, three references, a brief writing sample (10 or fewer pages), and a cover letter introducing yourself and explaining how you can successfully lead the Foundation’s litigation team to Brian Minnich, Executive Vice-President, at BMinnich@freedomfoundation.com